Feb 21, 2024
Federal CIP: 13.1305 English Education/Language Arts Teacher Education
This degree program is designed for teacher candidates who want to teach English at the middle school or high school level. There are two main areas of concentration: English and education. The English major component includes 36 hours of course study (beyond the Core Curriculum requirement) to meet South Carolina certification standards in English.
All EDUC courses require a B- minimum grade with an overall GPA of 2.75. Admittance into Lock I requires an overall GPA of 2.75.
Students completing the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English Education are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of English language arts subject matter content that specifically includes literature and multimedia texts as well as knowledge of the nature of adolescents as readers;
- demonstrate knowledge of English language arts subject matter content that specifically includes language and writing as well as knowledge of adolescents as language users;
- plan instruction and design assessments for reading and the study of literature to promote learning for all students;
- plan instruction and design assessments for composing texts (i.e., oral, written, and visual) to promote learning for all students;
- plan, implement, assess, and reflect on research-based instruction that increases motivation and active student engagement, builds sustained learning of English language arts, and responds to diverse students’ context-based needs;
- demonstrate knowledge of how theories and research about social justice, diversity, equity, student identities, and schools as institutions can enhance students’ opportunities to learn in English Language Arts; and
- interact knowledgeably with students, families, and colleagues based on social needs and institutional roles, engage in leadership and/or collaborative roles in English Language Arts professional learning communities, and actively develop as professional educators.
English Education BA Requirements
Specified Core Curriculum
Students earning a bachelor’s degree must complete all Core Curriculum requirements. The following specific core curriculum course(s) is required.
Completion of major courses requires a minimum grade of C-.
English Course Requirements
Three (3) Hours Selected from the following:
Language and Structure Skills
Education Course Requirements
Completion of EDUC major courses requires a minimum grade of B- with an overall GPA of 2.75.
In addition to core curriculum (40-44 credit hours) and major course requirements students must complete elective coursework appropriate to their degree. A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for the Bachelor of Arts in English Education, including elective coursework. Students must work with their advisor to select electives appropriate for this degree.
- Three-Six hours (3-6) of elective English courses are required.
|Core Curriculum Requirements
|Major Course Requirements
Advisor Approved Electives
Total: 120-124 hrs.
Add-On Middle School Content Certificate Program for Secondary Education
There is no additional content required for secondary teachers adding the same content field at the middle level. For add-on not within the same content field, 15 hours in the specified middle school level content or a minor in content area is required.